Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Black Monday - The Aftermath

Y'know, I hate devoting blog entries to the sordid goings-on of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but what's news is news, so here we go...

I wake up yesterday morning and see on the Bottom Line on ESPN2 that Santonio Holmes has been traded to the Jets for a fifth round pick. My response went pretty much like this - "WTF?!" I knew that Tone was probably going to be suspended for the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance abuse policy (read: waking and baking), but this was still a shock to me - especially when I saw the Steelers only got a fifth for him. I guess the edict came down from on high - "Get rid of him. I don't care if you have to release him, but get rid of him."

I went into this in depth on Friday, but it bears repeating again: Santonio, you're an idiot. I don't care if you claim your Twitter account was hacked or some such nonsense. If you would have a) quit the dope and b) kept your johnson in your pants (in more ways than one), then maybe you wouldn't have been dumped by the six time Super Bowl champs for little more than a used pair of cleats. Sure, you get to go to that "big market" you wanted to go to, but you're on thin ice now. Next time you get caught smoking dope, you'll be out for more than just 4 games. And seriously, who among us out there really thinks you won't get caught again?

So, enjoy life in the big city, Tone, where the media scrutiny will be 10 times what it is around here. You have no idea how good you had it. No idea. And the fans? Oh sure, they'll welcome you with open arms, especially as an alternative to "Hands of Stone" Braylon Edwards, but they'll turn on you in a New York Minute the first time you eff up. Take care now. Buh-bye.

And that brings us to Ben. You all know that my opinion of Ben had taken a major nose dive even before the DA decided not to press charges against him. Last Friday, I'd surmised that the alleged assault was the result of Ben getting a hummer in the ladies room. BZZZT! If you listened to what the DA said, it's pretty clear that Ben did have intercourse with the drunk out of her mind 20 year old girl, but there wasn't enough evidence to make a case against him. So, even though Ben won't be going to have to go to court (this time, anyway), he comes off looking like a bigger jackass than I ever thought possible.

And then! And then he has this staged "apology" that was so insincere that it was comical. Does anyone really think he's sorry or that he won't do it again? There's even rumors floating that more women might be coming out of the woodwork in a Tiger Woods like situation. Jeez, Ben... are you really that hard up for sex or is it really all about having power? God, you sicken me. And you know what else sickens me? How you look. Stop eating so many effing donuts! Get a haircut! Shave! And lose some weight! You look like an effing slob.

If, for sake of argument, the St. Louis Rams come to the Steelers and offer them the first pick in this year's draft for Ben (ostensibly to take Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford), then I'd jump at it. Get him out of here. I'm tired of his act. I'm sure the Steelers are, too. And I can't wait to hear the outcome of Ben's meeting today with Roger Goodell. I'm guessing a two-game or more suspension, either from the league or the Steelers under the fabled "morals clause" or as I like to call it "Stop being such an effing ass clown and grow up" clause. I'm so tired of these pro athletes who continue to act like they're above the law and don't have to show any morals because of who they are. Grow up and stop acting like a 15 year old with the keys to the liquor cabinet.

Rant over.

Oh yeah... the Pens start the Stanley Cup Playoffs tomorrow against the Ottawa Senators in what's probably going to be a very difficult match-up. Lemme put it you this way - unless the Pens start to plug some of the defensive deficiencies they've been showing lately, it's going to be one and out for the defending Stanley Cup champs, especially because the Sens always play them tough (especially Sid). I say Pens in 6, but it wouldn't shock me at all if the Sens beat them.

Anyway, enough of dwelling on the foibles of Ben and Tone. I honestly don't know where the Steelers go from here, but I think the days leading up to next week's draft are going to be very interesting.

Later.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment